Tuesday 14 October 2014

Suarez: Liverpool would not have challenged without me.

Luis Suarez believes Liverpool would not have challenged for the title last season without him spearheading their attack.

Suarez, who joined Barcelona in a deal worth around £75 million in the summer, said he had been able to leave Anfield happy as he had won the European Golden Boot last season - an award shared with Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo - and been the leader who returned Liverpool to the Champions League.

And Suarez believes he was the main factor behind the Anfield club's good form last year.
He said: "Personal success is always welcome and makes you happy, because that's recognition of the good work you have done.

"But I put the team ahead of that and last season Liverpool came so close to winning the Premier League, which would have been spectacular.

"I appreciate all the work the team did. But I missed six matches and scored all those goals in the Premier League without being the penalty-taker.

"I really could leave happy because if I hadn't had the attitude and mentality to lead the team, I don't think Liverpool would have done as well as they did.

"Getting back into the Champions League was another target I had in mind."
Suarez also revealed that he also feels aggrieved over being found guilty of racism in the 2011 incident involving Manchester United's Patrice Evra.


No comments:

Post a Comment