Thursday 16 October 2014

Liverpool's Mario Balotelli insists Daniel Sturridge return can help him in Reds striking battle.

The Italian has struggled to impress since arriving at Anfield but with Sturridge set to feature against QPR, he believes he can now start to shine.


Mario Balotelli accepts he faces a real fight for a Liverpool shirt after admitting he has failed so far to perform in a central striker's role.
But the Italian star reckons the return of Daniel Sturridge will HELP him to become a Reds regular - because he doesn't see himself as a natural number nine.
And the controversial forward also has faith in the manager who splashed out £15m on him, to help him develop as a forward...and as a person.
Sturridge is back in full training and will lead the line on Sunday at QPR - which puts pressure on Balotelli's place after he was dropped in Liverpool's last game a fortnight ago.
Yet the Italy international admitted he is far happier playing alongside another forward rather than having the pressure of a lone hit man.
"If it was my choice, I would always go with two strikers. It's the way I like to play," he explained in an interview with Sport magazine.
"I have never been a real, out-and-out striker - I have always been someone who goes around the pitch, you know?"
When Sturridge was injured Balotelli was charged by his manager Brendan Rodgers to become the focal point of the team, and offer a real threat as a lone striker.
to become the focal point of the team, and offer a real threat as a lone striker.
Jamie McDonaldA dejected Mario Balotelli of Liverpool at the end of the match during the UEFA Champions League Group B match between FC Basel 1893 and Liverpool FC at St. Jakob Stadium on October 1, 2014 in Basel, Switzerland.

The forward concedes he struggled to do that...which led ultimately to the axe when Rickie Lambert was preferred when Liverpool beat West Brom in their last league game.
There are doubts whether he will return to the starting line up at Loftus Road, yet as Balotelli revealed the work Rodgers has done in trying to adapt his role, he insisted he is confident the Reds boss will turn him into a better striker.
"Brendan asked me to play as the first striker. I understand that when the ball comes from wide on the left or right, I need to be in the box otherwise there might be no-one there at all," he revealed.
"I need to get in the box more. I don't do it enough, but it is something I am working to try to do more. I have never been a real, out-and-out striker.
"But I am working, and I can see already that the Liverpool fans really like me, although I know that maybe they are a little upset because I don't score. I see they appreciate that I am working hard, though,which is nice for me."
Rodgers has struggled to get the striker to adapt his game, and to offer the sort of movement which defined his Liverpool side last season.
But Balotelli insisted the manager's style is perfect to help him improve...and win back the Italy place he lost after the World Cup.
Andrew Powell
The gaffer: Balotelli believes Rodgers' management style can make him improve
He is very good, a strong character, and I think that comes out in the way the team plays," the 24 year old said of his Irish boss.
"I think he can help me improve as a player. He is very open, everybody can talk to him, but first he looks at the person, and second he looks at the footballer.
"With Brendan, you need to be a good person - you don't have to be, how do you say it, a d *** head .
"I could do better, of course, I could do way better. I have done mistakes in the past, like everybody did when they were young.
"But I am only focused on football. I live out in the countryside, I am relaxed and I just hope the time that I'm going to score is coming soon. Then maybe they will concentrate more on football and not all the other bull****.
"I know I have one goal in the Champions League, but in the Premier League I have to start with one. After that, I might set myself a target, but I swear right now my first league goal is my first and only objective."
Rodgers faces a real dilemma against QPR, where he could bring both Sturridge and Balotelli back and rest Raheem Sterling, or play Sturridge alone up front and use Sterling and Adam Lallana as part of 4-3-3 system.
Source : Click here

Jamie McDonal

No comments:

Post a Comment